Wednesday, July 26, 2017

What is Alcohol Poisoning?

January 14, 2014 by  
Filed under Depression Treatments

Alcohol poisoning is one of the results that may derive from drinking an excessive amount of alcohol inside a short period of time. Alcohol poisoning is usually a result of binge drinking; the use of five or more drinks in a short span of time. When we binge drink in this way, or drink too excessively for our own programs, the liver can not process all of the alcohol that’s been taken into the system fast enough. This causes the excess alcohol to be introduced in to the bloodstream, which in turn flows to the brain, affecting the neurochemistry. This may affect many functions within the body. A lot of alcohol can lead to the suppression of one or more vital systems, such as the respiratory system, because alcohol is a depressant. Alcohol is normally metabolized in the liver at the price of 1 ounce every 90 minutes. This could be the equivalent of a two-ounce mixed drink, one beer or even a regular size glass of wine. Here is the rate that a healthy liver functions. Almost any liver disease could be able to metabolize alcohol far more slowly.

Alcohol poisoning can lead to respiratory failure, liver failure, or heart failure, and represses normal reflexes. For instance, a lot of people with alcohol poisoning are so intoxicated that they do not have a gag reflex, which can cause them to asphyxiate by themselves vomit if they regurgitate while they’re unconscious.

What is alcohol poisoning? How can we recognize it? What do we do when we recognize it? There are many different symptoms the period to a case of alcohol poisoning. These symptoms may include:

* Confusion and stupor

* Vomiting

* Seizures

* Slowed breathing or abnormal breathing

* Skin that becomes blue-tinged or light

* Lowered human body temperature, even hypothermia

* Unconsciousness with little to no success of awakening

If these symptoms are observed in someone you know, you should seek medical assistance immediately. Alcohol poisoning treatment consists of breathing support and administration of fluids and vitamins to get rid of alcohol from the system.

Until medical attention arrives, it is crucial that you keep the individual with liquor poisoning if they’re conscious sitting in one place. Don’t provide them with coffee or caffeine as this leads to further dehydration. Give them water if they may take it. Turn them on their side; do not allow them to lay on their backs, If they are passed out.

Sufficiently high levels of alcohol in the blood may cause coma or death. Acute alcohol poisoning is considered a medical emergency.

Be Sociable, Share!

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!